The Alberta Motor Transport Association (AMTA) has oversight over the Alberta Long Combination Vehicle Driver Training Program and those who deliver it. Successful completion of the Long Combination Vehicle Instructor Training Program will enable applicants to become AMTA-certified Long Combination Vehicle Instructors. They will then be able to train and certify drivers, within the province of Alberta, in the operation of LCV
Learning: Two days in Classroom/Practical
Frequency of Occurrence: Bi-monthly or as demand requires
Member: $350 + GST
Non-Member: $699+ GST
This course contains both a classroom and practical component, as circumstances permit.
Should they be required, distance learning courses would be facilitated in real-time by a qualified AMTA instructor and participants access the course and materials via an online conferencing tool (presently, Microsoft Teams) using a computer or device equipped with sound and video (camera) capabilities.
During the COVID-19 response, Practical Assessments will be completed by video submission. Videos must be received within fourteen (14) days of the course. Notification must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and a link to upload the video will be sent to the participant subsequently.
Instructor candidates must meet the following requirements and provide supporting documentation:
- Class 1 license
- 36 months LCV experience (provide a confirmation letter from employer)
- PDIC certificate (within the previous 48 months)
- Provincial trucking association LCV driver’s certificate
- Carrier issued driver certificate (wallet card)
- Commercial Driver’s Abstract (within 30 days)
They must also include at least one of the following and attach a copy of the LCV Carrier Permit:
- Driver of a carrier operating with a valid LCV operating permit
- Safety supervisor of a carrier operating with a valid LCV operating permit
- Employee of a driving school approved to deliver LCV driver training
LCV Instructor Training is beneficial to carriers with larger fleets of LCV so that training may be done in-house.