The Alberta Motor Transport Association (AMTA) has oversight over the Alberta Long Combination Vehicle Driver Training Program and those who deliver it. Successful completion of the Long Combination Vehicle Instructor Recertification Program will enable applicants to renew their AMTA certification as a Long Combination Vehicle Instructor. They will be able to continue to train and certify drivers in the operation of LCV within the province of Alberta.
Learning: One day in Classroom/Practical
Frequency of Occurrence: Bi-monthly or as demand requires
Member: $250+ GST
Non-Member: $499+ GST
This course contains both a classroom and practical component, as circumstances permit.
Should they be required, distance learning courses would be facilitated in real-time by a qualified AMTA instructor and participants access the course and materials via an online conferencing tool (presently, Microsoft Teams) using a computer or device equipped with sound and video (camera) capabilities.
During the COVID-19 response, Practical Assessments will be completed by video submission. Videos must be received within fourteen (14) days of the course. Notification must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and a link to upload the video will be sent to the participant subsequently
Instructor candidates must meet the following requirements and provide supporting documentation:
- Class 1 license
- PDIC certificate (within the previous 48 months)
- Carrier issued driver certificate (wallet card)
- Commercial Driver’s Abstract (within 30 days)
- LCV Instructor’s Certificate
- Proof of having instructed a minimum of one LCV course per calendar year
They must also include at least one of the following and attach a copy of the LCV Carrier Permit:
- Driver of a carrier operating with a valid LCV operating permit
- Safety supervisor of a carrier operating with a valid LCV operating permit
- Employee of a driving school approved to deliver LCV driver training
LCV Instructor Training is beneficial to carriers with larger fleets of LCV so that training may be done in-house.