March 5, 2020
AMHSA + partners Mental Fitness webinar series (starting March 24)
Commercial Carrier information compiled by the Alberta Government
Truck News: BREAKING: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada and the U.S. have agreed to temporarily restrict non-essential travel between the two countries. Trucking will not be affected.
Alberta Government COVID-19 update: Government will declare a state of public health emergency
- Via CTA: Speaking at a press conference, Transport Minister Marc Garneau said certain kinds of workers – such as truck drivers, train and air crews and others whose professions require cross-border travel to the U.S. in order to maintain trade and deliver essential products to Canadians – will be exempted from the condition to self-isolate as the government attempts to limit the spread of coronavirus.
- Alberta Government announces student attendance at schools is prohibited and post-secondary classes are cancelled. All licensed child care facilities, out-of-school care programs and pre-school programs are closed indefinitely. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinsaw mentions exemptions for commercial drivers and cross-border travel as an essential service.
- In a release from Alberta Government, the Province is asking organizers to cancel any events that have more than 250 attendees. This includes large sporting events, conferences and community events. It does not extend to places of worship, grocery stores, airports or shopping centres. Any event that has more than 50 attendees and expects to have international participants, or involves critical infrastructure staff, seniors or other high-risk populations should also be cancelled.
- Government of Alberta confirms 19 cases in Alberta, all travel related. One patient is recovering in hospital while the 18 others are in isolation at home.
- Government of Alberta COVID-19 coronavirus info for Albertans
- Truck World postpones show until June because of Coronavirus concerns
- Alberta’s chief medical officer of health announces 7 new cases, increasing the number of confirmed cases in Alberta to 14. All cases are travel-related.
- The Canadian Trucking Alliance is conducting a Carrier Survey on the impact of Covid-19 on trucking operations volume.
- To participate in the survey, please click here.
Government of Canada: Risk-informed decision-making for mass gatherings during COVID-19 global outbreak
In a release from March 5, Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Deena Hinshaw confirmed the province’s first presumptive case of novel coronavirus.
The woman lives in the Calgary zone. The release states her case is travel-related and she is recovering in isolation at home with support from public health officials.
“We take this extremely seriously, and we are doing all we can to minimize risk and keep Albertans safe,” Hinshaw said. “While some may be concerned, I remind Albertans that the risk is still low in our province. We are already taking the necessary precautions to prevent the infection from spreading.”
The Canadian Trucking Alliance sent out a release March 4 explaining work they’ve undertaken with CCOHS to promote compliance resources available to the trucking industry.
Resources available to Carriers via the CTA and CCOHS include (some with a small charge):
- Pandemic Awareness (Free) – https://www.ccohs.ca/products/courses/pandemic_aware/
- Pandemic Planning – https://www.ccohs.ca/products/courses/pandemic_plan/
- Coronavirus – https://www.ccohs.ca//oshanswers/diseases/coronavirus.html
- Pandemic Influenza (Flu) – https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/pandemic_flu.html
- Good Hygiene Practices – Reducing the Spread of Infections and Viruses – https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/good_hygiene.html
- Get the Upper Hand on Germs – https://www.ccohs.ca/products/posters/handwashing.html
- Prevent the Spread – https://www.ccohs.ca/products/posters/prevent_spread.html
- Flu and Infectious Disease Portal – https://www.ccohs.ca/outbreaks/
- Health and Safety Report on the Coronavirus: https://www.ccohs.ca/newsletters/hsreport/issues/2020/02/ezine.html#hsreport-ontopic
- Handwashing sticker – available for sale in English and French: https://www.ccohs.ca/products/boutique/handwashing_sticker/
- Prevent the Spread infographic (available as a free download): https://www.ccohs.ca/products/posters/preventspread/
Additional OSH Answers
- Common Cold https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/common_cold.html
- Hand Washing: Reducing the Risk of Common Infections https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/washing_hands.html – updated February 13, 2020
- SARS https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/sars.html – updated February 13, 2020
- Influenza https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/biol_hazards/influenza.html – updated February 13, 2020
- Pandemics – https://www.ccohs.ca/topics/hazards/health/pandemics/
- Business Continuity Plan Infectious Diseases https://www.ccohs.ca/publications/PDF/businesscontinuity.pdf?nocert=true